Whether it be the Atlanta Braves or Houston Astros or some soon-to-be-revealed mystery team, the idea of McCann moving on from pinstripes seems like an inevitable conclusion to this saga. He would likely be moved primarily to designated hitter and backup catcher.
The quotes from Coppy are telling on the McCann front in that the Braves have definitely shown interest and made offers to the Yankees for McCann, but he concedes there may not be a fit and that Yankees' GM Brian Cashman may find a deal that suits the Yankees better.
McCann's contract has a no-trade clause so he, therefore, would have to sign off on a trade that would move home from the Yankees to any team in the majors.
Another potential match would be the Astros, who are desperate for both a catcher and a left-handed power bat to insert into the lineup with right-handed hitters Carlos Correa, Jose Altuve and George Springer.
"Abbott just said, 'Keep me posted; why don't you guys go through the process and if you have something you need to talk to us about, give us a call", Cashman said on Wednesday afternoon. He hit 20 home runs and drove in 58 runs past year in 130 games, posting a.748 OPS. Incumbent starter Jason Castro is a free agent, leaving Evan Gattis and Max Stassi as the top internal candidates - and remember, Gattis has caught only 55 games in two seasons since joining the Astros. Considering Gary Sanchez will be receiving the league minimum over the same time, the Yankees would love to rid themselves of that contract. Another option for Houston would be to trade for a left-handed hitting centerfielder such as the White Sox's Adam Eaton or Yankees' Brett Gardner. That would make McCann a nearly ideal match. However, the Astros could be hesitant to pay him the $34 million he is due.
Brian Cashman hasn't tried to hide the possibility that Brian McCann could be traded this offseason, but it appears that scenario could become a reality. Removing both McCann and Gardner would likely be enough to bring back a prospect return of merit and shed nearly $30M from New York's 2017 payroll.
- Carlos Fonseca vive en las victorias de Nicaragua — Maduro
- Ashtabula Police: Officer shoots, kills suspect in armed robbery
- Uncharted movie to begin filming in 2017, according to Shawn Levy
- Newell Brands Inc. (NWL) Plans Quarterly Dividend of $0.19
- Massive 'Miitomo' update enables sidekicks, social features, and customization
- Mud Dragon dinosaur fossil found on building site
- Sampaoli recordó su paso por la U en conferencia de Sevilla
- Emma Watson unveils the spellbinding 'Beauty and the Beast' teaser poster
- Trump transition team launches GreatAgain.Gov
- UK Supreme Court to hear Brexit appeal in December