A report by Major League Baseball analyst Joel Sherman has thrown a lot of cold water on the situation, as it refutes the earlier Yankees rumors while providing some bad news for fans hoping a huge payroll increase was also coming. The second way is for a hopeful Yankees fan to view this as the team not trying for both players, but leaving open the possibility that the Yankees still do want Quintana by himself.
On Tuesday it was reported by a national daily that the New York Yankees had increased their talks with Chicago related to Quintana. The Pittsburgh Pirates are also involved, and suddenly the name of relief pitcher David Robertson has come as someone who might help the deal get done.
It is likely that the White Sox would receive an impressive number of prospects in return for Quintana, although it is not likely they would be the same as Chicago received in its trade for Sale. He has two seasons remaining on the free-agent contract he signed ahead of the 2015 season. NY already has Aroldis Chapman and Dellin Betances at the back end of its bullpen, but could be once again looking to build a three-headed monster to end games. They could flip Robertson or move Betances as the next part of this complicated deal, but maybe the Yankees could give themselves an expensive boost to their pitching staff altogether. That doesn't even include Adam Warren, who could be used when one of the big three pitchers are getting a day off.
Per Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Yankees have "expanded" discussions with Chicago to try and add Robertson into any trade deal that might get done, as NY seeks to improve both the starting rotation and bullpen heading into 2017. The Yankees have a strong enough system to land Quintana, but the White Sox have the ability to hold out for the best possible deal.
Part of the interest on the part of Pittsburgh is the expected price tag of signing Quintana as his contract is of a modest amount, which is ideal for the medium size market team the Pirates are.
Brian Cashman has already done a good job adding pieces during the MLB offseason, easily making the team contenders for the 2017 MLB Playoffs.
Just imagine what this deal would do for NY.
- Porsha Claps Back at Kordell Claiming She Leaked an Alleged Sex Tape
- Christmas Eve store hours
- Samsung Galaxy S8 release date - surprise release for flagship phone REVEALED
- Second Pokemon Sun and Moon Global Event Revealed
- Are Kristen Stewart and Stella Maxwell dating? 'They are having fun'
- What time does Walmart close Christmas Eve? Store hours for Dec
- Amazon 'Give Back Box' will benefit Goodwill
- RB CJ Prosise only player ruled out for Seahawks
- Descubren nuevo órgano humano, el mesenterio
- The Navios Maritime Acquisition Corp. (NNA) to Release Quarterly Earnings on Tuesday