Michael Bennet, took to Twitter to decry the attacks.
Trump earlier on Saturday had not specifically criticized the white nationalist rally and its neo-Nazi slogans. Embrace inclusion, celebrate differences-that's the America we believe in.
Mr. President - we must call evil by its name.
Gardner, the Republican senator from Colorado, in a series of tweets called on Trump to specifically denounce the violence of the white supremacists.
He says "we have to come together as Americans with love for our nation and. true affection for each other".
President Donald Trump is blaming "many sides" for the violent clashes between white supremacists and counter-protesters in Virginia.
Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe declared a state of emergency to, "aid state response to violence".
As many have pointed out through the day, condemning these actions is among the lowest bars to pass - but it is one that Trump decidedly chose not to cross. He also says "there is no place for this kind of violence in America". Hickenlooper further said in the tweet, "Hatred has no place in our society - now is a time to come together".
Trump, as a candidate, frequently came under scrutiny for being slow to offer his condemnation of white supremacists.
U.S. Rep. Ed Perlmutter, Rep. Diana DeGette and Rep. Scott Tipton also condemned the violence in Virginia. It's deeply disturbing and un-American.
"I want to urge my fellow Virginians who may consider joining either in support or opposition to the planned rally to make alternative plans", he said.
White nationalists have continually targeted Charlottesville, and the decision reached in May to remove the statute by city leaders was temporarily stopped by a judge - galvanizing the far right. In July, the Ku Klux Klan held a rally in the city's Justice Park where they were met by thousands of counter-protesters. 9NEWS will update it with more information as it becomes available.
- Capturan a Mauricio Alberto Vergara, implicado en caso Odebrecht
- Banca debe tener programas de apoyo financiero para mujeres: SHCP
- Arqueros mexicanos se llevan la plata en Copa del Mundo
- ¿J Balvin en problemas con la ley?
- Zidane confirma renovación por tres años con Real Madrid
- Venezuela condena sanciones unilaterales impuestas por EEUU
- Iztapalapa va por récord Guinness de personas comiendo helado
- Nike retiraría patrocinio a Rafa Márquez
- Julión Álvarez cancela concierto en Estados Unidos
- Aprueban priistas reformas a sus documentos básicos: Peña Nieto